Roundup: Broadway takes to social media to celebrate last night’s Tony Award winners
Host Ariana DeBose also received many accolades for her work at the ceremony.
Broadway’s biggest night of the year drew Broadway favorites and fans alike. As the winners took the stage and host Ariana DeBose guided the evening with musical mash-up numbers to end the show, the Broadway community took to social media to celebrate the evening.
Check out these 16 messages from nominees, winners and supporters as Broadway honors the stars of the 2021-2022 season.
1. Dan Levy admired Ariana DeBose kicking off the Tonys.
2. Jesse Tyler Ferguson celebrated his victory with other Broadway favorites.
3. Danielle Brooks celebrates Joaquina Kalukango’s win with a heartfelt Instagram post.
4. Tony nominee Rachel Dratch thinks she still won.
Well, Patti LuPone walked past me and said, “Hi, Rachel!” so actually I’m a WINNER!! #TonyAwards
—Rachel Dratch (@TheRealDratch) June 13, 2022
5. Lin-Manuel Miranda met Raúl Esparza and congratulated him hamilton alum Ariana DeBose on hosting the Tonys.
6. Meena Harris seized the moment A strange loop won from the scene.
7. Audra McDonald also congratulated Joaquina Kalukango on her victory.
Well, I’m happy. Joaquina 🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾
— Audra McDonald (@AudraEqualityMc) June 13, 2022
8. Bebe Neuwirth paid tribute to everyone for the work that went into organizing the awards show and while working on a Broadway show.
I second that cry! I thought I was tired when I walked into Radio City this morning. Then, I saw a cast of dancers in FULL-OUT throws on this huge stage. I thought, “Damn, those are early morning plies.” I take my bowler hat off to you all. Well done!💃🏻
— Bebe Neuwirth (her) (@BebeNeuwirth) June 12, 2022
9. Carole King congratulated Jennifer Hudson whose Tony win last night secured EGOT status for the Broadway alum.
10. Andrew Keenan-Bolger also paid tribute to Ariana DeBose in this tweet.
11. Sis, of the Oklahoma! national tour, paid tribute to SIX creator Toby Marlow on his historic win with co-creator Lucy Moss.
12. Marisha Wallace also made sure to thank Marlow and Moss for winning Best Original Score.
13. Jesse Tyler Ferguson’s husband Justin Mikita took to Instagram to celebrate Ferguson’s win.
14. Longtime Broadway publicist Irene Gandy took a moment to celebrate Phylicia Rashad’s victory.
15. Broadway playwright Jeremy O. Harris took to Twitter to celebrate Joaquina Kalukango and her win.
I’m actually crying uncontrollably rn THAT’S MY DAUGHTER!!!!!!! Congratulations Joaquina you are truly ESTABLISHED BY GOD! From the minute you walked into our audition room, I knew you were truly one of the greatest actresses I would ever have the honor to work with. I love you! #tonyawards pic.twitter.com/6uqeIjxEYx
— Dandy playwright Jeremy O Harris (@jeremyoharris) June 13, 2022
16. Olivier winner Lesli Margherita also paid tribute to Kalukango for her incredible and helpful performance.
In other news, I send this clip of Tony of Joaquina Kalukango singing Let It Burn to my agent every time he tells me I haven’t found a job
— Lesli Margherita (@QueenLesli) June 13, 2022