A popular SA radio host will part ways with his show, just days after saying he ‘felt sorry’ for Gina Rinehart amid the Diamonds sponsorship saga.

Andrew ‘Cosi’ Costello, who co-hosts Hit Network’s SAFM Breakfast Bec, Cosi & Lehmo starring Rebecca Morse and Anthony ‘Lehmo’ Lehmann, will be leaving the show immediately, it was announced on air Friday morning.

Morse and Lehmann are set to return to the air on Nov. 4, though the station has yet to confirm plans for its 2023 lineup.

Speculation has been mounting for weeks that there will be a shake-up to the show, which has failed to top competitors in recent radio ratings.

Costello, a true radio veteran of over two decades, took to his ‘South Aussie with Cosi’ Facebook page to address the news.

“I have just been told that SAFM has decided to continue in 2023 without the Bec, Cosi and Lehmo breakfast,” he wrote.

“I have loved SAFM so much since I first walked through the door as a Kadina pig farmer 23 years ago. They gave me my media debut and it’s been a wonderful run ever since. I wish them good luck.

Costello had hosted the show with Morse for three years, with Lehmann joining the duo in mid-2020.

Addressing the Adelaide AdvertiserCostello said he did not receive an explanation from his employer, but pledged to “definitely” return to radio.

“Eleven years ago … they sat me down and they fired me,” Costello told the publication.

“I was mortified. I walked out onto Greenhill Rd and just bawled my eyes out.

“I said, OK, I’m never going to be in that position again; I will never be a victim of a station that dictates my future like that.

“Fast forward to yesterday and they did it again, but I’m not sad this time. Because I have so many other things to do.

He said he was “disappointed” but “not sad” by the decision, which comes after Costello slammed Australian netballers for “cracking s***s” in a divisive Facebook post that the Diamonds turn their backs on $15 mining billionaire Rinehart. million sponsorship.

Last week, Diamonds players refused to wear a team uniform that included the branding of Rinehart’s Hancock Prospecting company.

It is understood that Aboriginal player Donnell Wallam did not feel comfortable wearing a uniform with the logo following shocking comments from Rinehart’s father, Lang Hancock, in the 1980s when he infamously suggested that Indigenous Australians are expected to be sterilized to ‘reproduce’ in years to come.

On Facebook, Costello accused the team of “spitting in (Rinehart’s) face”, adding that Rinehart had sponsored his own charity, Cows for Cambodia.

“She is the richest woman in Australia, but she still had time for our little charity,” he wrote.

“She was drawn to her love for the beef industry and helped us endlessly. Never ask for anything in return.

“She was kind enough to spend $15 million to sponsor this netball team. She didn’t have to. She chose to help them. Then some don’t like mining, so they bust the bullshit .

“You would think a group of women would embrace and welcome a successful businesswoman like Gina. Instead, they spat in his face.

“Gina will find someone more grateful to accept her money. I feel sorry for her. She was doing this because she wanted to help.

“To the members of the team who had the s***s. You won. You lost the godfather. But at what cost to the rest of the team or the sport? Time will tell.

“I wonder if those who got the s***s are using mining by-products? I bet they are. Of course they are. Mad!”

Costello’s comments were shared on Reddit where they drew hundreds of comments and he was accused of “taking pity” on Rinehart.

News.com.au is not suggesting his comments were related to SAFM’s move.

News.com.au has contacted SAFM and Costello for comment.