By Briar StarrProWrestling.net Contributor (@briarstarrtv)
AEW Dark (Episode 147)
Recorded in Ontario, California at Toyota Arena
Aired June 7, 2022 on the AEW YouTube page
Excalibur and Taz were on comment…
1. Aaron Solo vs. Lance Archer. Archer hit several shoulder blocks in the corner shortly after the bell rang. He followed up with a scoop slam. Solo hit a quick move off the top rope. Unfortunately, Solo was caught with a bullet to the body. Archer hit the Hella Coaster solo. Solo countered the Blackout on the first attempt. Eventually, Archer planted Solo with the Blackout for the win.
Lance Archer defeated Aaron Solo via pinfall.
Briar’s grip: A typical Archer upgrade match, but this time against a more believable opponent. The only thing different is that at least Solo wasn’t thrown into the ring when Archer entered like most of his dark opponents were.
2. Steve Andrews vs. Christopher Daniels. Daniels made a shoulder tackle, but Andrews hit back with an arm drag. Daniels hit a back heel trip on Andrews. Shortly after, Daniels picked up the win with the Best Moonsault Ever to quickly end Andrews’ night.
Christopher Daniels defeated Steve Andrews by pinfall.
Briar’s grip: Solid stuff from Daniels, who never seems to get old. It really makes you wonder how many games he still has left. He was also too huge with his hometown crowd in Ontario, California.
3. Skye Blue vs. Marina Shafir. As Shafir entered the ring, Blue kicked him off the apron. The two fought briefly outside before returning to the ring and the bell rang. Blue continued his fast pace with a push kick to Shafir which sent Shafir outside once again. Unfortunately, Shafir slowed Blue’s momentum and started throwing her into the barricade. Shafir dropped Blue with a high collar snap in the middle of the ring. Blue and Shafir traded blows until Shafir kicked Blue to the back. Shafir locked in an armbar and got Blue tapping fast for the win.
Marina Shafir defeated Skye Blue by submission.
Briar’s grip: Following her TV title loss to Jade Cargill a few weeks ago, AEW is trying to build Shafir into a dominant in-ring wrestler. For those keeping track, Shafir is now 2-0 against Blue.
4. Serpentinco vs. Ortiz. Ortiz and Serpentinco countered each other’s moves early on. Ortiz silenced the crowd with a chop before landing a leg lariat on Serpentinco. Ortiz followed up with an enzuigiri to further dominate Serpentinco. Ortiz planted Serpentinco with a Tiger Driver for the win.
Ortiz beat Serpentinco via pinfall.
Briar’s grip: A rare singles match from Ortiz, who directly topped Serpentinco on this outing. Like I said before, if Serpentinco hadn’t been introduced as a comedy act in the beginning, their matches wouldn’t be so predictable. If my stats are correct, this is Ortiz’s first singles match since a November 2020 imatch with Cody Rhodes.
5. Zeda Zhang vs. Toni Storm. Storm slowed things down with a sideways headlock on Zhang until he threw a dropkick. Zhang retaliated with the back elbow and a hip thrust, then locked her in a submission hold. Storm broke away and regained momentum with a German suplex and a hip attack in the corner. Storm planted Zhang with the Storm Zero for the win.
Toni Storm defeated Zeda Zhang via pinfall.
Briar’s grip: Great stuff from Toni Storm, who continues to impress in every game she plays. Hopefully one day she will get into meaningful title programs with Britt Baker or Jade Cargill.
A video package of Anthony Bowen has been released…
Tony Schiavone interviewed Ortiz about his upcoming match with Chris Jericho at the Road Ranger in St. Louis…
6. “The Dark Order” Alex Reynolds, John Silver and Ten vs. Max Caster and “The Gunn Club Austin Gunn and Colten Gunn. Silver took Austin off his feet with the elbow uppercut. Colten made a blind tag and caught Silver off guard with a lariat. Caster tagged in and dropped Silver with a swinging neckbreaker. Silver knocked Caster to the mat, but Austin scored once again.
Colten missed a diving splash on Silver, who then scored. 10 hit a right hand to the jaw of Caster. 10 planted Colten and Austin with a spinebuster. Reynolds entered the ring and was lifted over the top and landed on Caster and The Gunn Club. Colten saved Austin from defeat. Colten hit Reynolds with Anthony Bowens’ crutch which gave Austin the overall win.
Max Caster and The Gunn Club defeated The Dark Order via pinfall.
Briar’s grip: All in all, a very quick installment of Dark with six games. Obviously this was taped on the same day as Rampage last Friday, so it was nice to have an Arena crowd that seemed very engaged in the matches. There’s a little something for everyone this week and picking the match of the night is a bit tricky as the matches are very short and short. However, I think Marina Shafir vs. Skye Blue was underrated and great with Christopher Daniels vs. Steve Andrews. Episode 147 lasted 40 minutes and 51 seconds. Final score: 7.5 out of 10.